LVA Accolades

LVA Accolades

• April 9NEW ISSUE SEPT. 28TH!!

• August 30WELCOME BACK LVA!!

The Night is Short, Walk on Girl

Katherine Alexander, Reporter

“How did he spend the night that felt like a year?”

The Night Is Short, Walk on Girl https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_night_is_short_walk_on_girl/ is an animated movie about a young girl who goes on a one night adventure and meets a surplus of interesting characters along the way, with a further emerging plot involving a university student’s journey to confess his love for her.

The only substantial criticism I had for this movie was the transition from a high energy, fast paced sequence into a more reserved scene. It was difficult to switch mindsets and focus on the dialogue. I wanted to get that out of the way though because I have nothing but good things to say about the rest of the movie.

The film flowed like poetry; sometimes it felt as though I would have to sit for hours to truly understand a concept, and sometimes it played out so literally that your mind took to wondering about the meaning behind even the simplest things.

The aforementioned musical scene was my favorite overall. It was reminiscent of Queen’s familiar style, the theatrics and outrageous storytelling.

The themes of the movie were extremely dark, centering around the effects of alcohol on different people, eroticism, and obsession. All of these were handled with great care. While the main character experienced alcoholism in a way that seemed more like an entrance as opposed to an escape, the surrounding darkness and blatant ridicule of excessive consumption took away the romanticism of the clear abuse of substance. All the characters experienced some sort of obsession besides the main character.

The cinematography exceeded my expectations completely. There were a few dull shots, but those were mostly establishing. I had to stop myself from outwardly expressing my excitement over a train pulling into a station, the lights stabbing through buildings. It was so well executed. An element I enjoyed was the style switch between classic anime, and a crude animation that resembled an animatic. Throughout, the backgrounds turned psychedelic, there was tangible representation of dark and light forces among characters, and the end product was a movie you could watch on silent and still completely enjoy.

That being said, I wouldn’t want to. I was surprised to find that my favorite element of the film was the sound design. I consider myself to be very lucky to have seen it in theatres, where the surround sound was completely taken advantage of. One particular example was during a scene that took place inside of one of the character’s minds, and you could hear voices coming from all directions. If you closed your eyes you could imagine the stress that the character was feeling, which was an absolutely perfect example of effective use of sound.

The Night Is Short, Walk on Girl is one I’d easily recommend to someone looking to break away from what we’ve been seeing in theatres recently.